I so wish I had remembered to take some before photos for you but all I have is a quick shot of the original curtains. I made these for my friends spare room about three years ago. The match the bedcover really well even though they are just scraps of curtain fabric sewn together.
Anyway this was the sort of colours that were in this room before I arrived today for a quick makeover.
This incredible bunk bed was made by the grandfather for the arrival of his two grand-daughters who are to spend 6 weeks here before and during school holidays.
The man is a wizz with any power tools and has a mind that doesn't accept defeat.
He is intending to make his resident grandson a similar contraption but with desk, etc under it.
Great ideas for tiny spaces.
So the bed was painted in light blue for grand-daughter 1 and trimmed in strong purple for grand-daughter 2.
But I came along and thought the bedding colours were all wrong.
A blue dolphin doona cover that had originally belonged to my oldest for the purple lover and that adult grey-brown colour for the pale blue lover.
The chest of drawers had slips that matched the grey-brown look to cover them.
What is a girl to do if she thinks it's not quite right but offer to do a quick makeover.
The offer was accepted so last night I madly washed the new-from-the-oppie blue vintage sheets and then proceeded to rip and sew until all the really weak areas were gone. It took two single sheets to make the top of this cover. The bottom is left overs from something that belonged to the grandma I think.
We tend to share stuff around here and I don't always remember where things came from.
Today I had to do a mad dash down to the shops for milk for breakfast so I took the opportunity to pop into the oppie to get extra props for the room.
$13 later I had 4 soft toys, enough blue fabric to work two pillow cases from and a new doona cover in lilac and pinks for the younger one.
Everything got washed and dried while I struggled with my machine to finish the blue bedding.
Then it was over to the house to set up the beds and work out what else needed doing.
After another trip to the oppie and then parting with $6 more. I had enough to complete the makeover just in time before the family came back from picking the girls up from the airport.
I added a white cane chair from my bedroom topped with a thrifted blue sheet ($1) which is there to protect the new cushions (50 cents each!).
A pretty lace runner from my house and a $4 cream doona cover thrown over the curtain rail and tied back with scraps of blue from the pillow cases.
I would have liked to cut the doona in half so that the frills were in the middle and each panel could be tied back but I know the grandma well enough to know that she would prefer to have the complete cover for another day.
She is a very grateful and resourcefully frugal woman and I know that it will not go to waste.
I am really happy about this super fast makeover and got lots of kisses which I think means everyoine else is too!