Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Re-using a cot

Now that I have moved to a new house my sewing space is in the lounge room. Fortunately the kitchen/dining/family room is open plan and perfect for our normal family life . This means that having the sewing in the lounge room is no big deal. 

Still, my old cutting table, which was a six seater dining table that had been raised several inches using all manner of goodies from Bunnings, was too large for this new area so it went to the tip with all the rest of the clutter that got thrown out on moving day. I am glad it went because in the end it had to be held together with string and the height adjusters would fall off every time I re-arranged the room.

So... I needed a new cutting table.

Even though I am only short I like my table to be high enough that I don't need to bend over when using the rotary cutter.
What could I get that would fill not only the height requirements but also allow me to hide all the goodies I used to store on and over my old table?

Why, a cot of course!

Found at the op-shop for a mere $15 and in a lovely aged cream colour this folding wooden cot is perfect.

At the moment I am just using a piece of 9mm MDF from the shed on the top but I think in time I will get a piece that fits correctly so their are no gaps for goodies to drop through. The best part is that I can store things in the cot (hidden by vintage tableclothes when I get that far) and also underneath.

PS In the interest of sanity I have not vacuumed the floor or tidied anything up.

2 comments:

  1. What an alternative way of thinking - good to look at and functional too. Hi, I blog hopped here and stayed awhile. I'll be back!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever thinking Cherrie. I like it. I'll have a cot or two begging in a year... but now I'll think about this sort of alternative use!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your kind thoughts. I appreciate and read everyone even though at times I may not be well enough to reply. Thankyou.