Monday, August 30, 2010

A vogue skirt for zilch - almost


Friends brought me make a swatch of fabric from their holidays reminiscent of my earlier taste because they still think of me that way. What is funny is that this is rather like some fabric I used in a dress about 25 years ago. At the same time, I had just picked up some super cheap patterns (think 20c and 50c) from the op shop.
(If you are not the smallest size on the list it would be good to check whether your size has been cut off or not. I wasted a whole 50 cents because I didn't!!)
Being all hyped up with the idea of actually using these patterns, I decided to combine the Vogue skirt with my fabric.
Now, ordinarily, I wouldn't use backed curtain fabric for a skirt but I though this would be a good chance to make a muslim style trial and still have something pretty to wear.



I really cheated with this so it would be finished today - just a row of black lace instead of a hem and the waist is simply lined with some old black bias and turned under. I learned how to make proper waistbands way back when but I prefer to not have any as I think it gives a nicer silhouette.

Not sure how often I will wear this but the exercise has certainly boosted my confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's fun to create even it you don't know whether you will wear it or use it. Looking forward to seeing your next creative project.
    Have a great evening.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very stylish indeed, and a great blockout for early morning light to boot!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for your kind thoughts. I appreciate and read everyone even though at times I may not be well enough to reply. Thankyou.